Modesto, Calif., (October 17, 2017) – As you have no doubt heard, our neighbors in Sonoma County have been devastated by several fires that ignited in the wee hours of Monday. Yesterday was spent evacuating, praying and ensuring safety.
Today, as we assess the damage I am relieved to report that our members are all safe. Some have sustained losses, many are tired and brow-beaten, but so far, safe and ok.
I’m sure many of you, like myself, have felt helpless; In an effort to do something to help we’d like to organize a supply drive. Next Friday, October 20th we will have trucks available to haul donations back to Sonoma County (I’ve been in touch with a board member from the area, and he’ll tentatively be at the meeting, in addition to myself and fellow WUD staffers) I’ll be in contact with several shelters, but below is a preliminary list of needed items:
- Bottled water
- Bottled sports drinks
- Non-perishable food, especially items that are snackable/don’t need to be cooked (granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, cereal, etc)
- Toiletries (toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, feminine hygiene products, lotions, wet wipes)
- Aspirin/Tylenol, bandaids, Hand sanitizer, OTC cold medication,
- Laundry soap
- Diapers of all sizes
- Baby supplies (pack n’ play, collapsible strollers, etc)
- Baby food, formula
- Children’s books, coloring books, supplies
- New socks and underwear of all sizes
- Pet food (canned and dry) + other pet supplies: bedding, leashes, crates, etc
- Gift cards (target, Walmart, etc)
A few things:
Please drop off donations at the following locations:
Tulare, Dirt Lot next to Heritage Complex – Wednesday October 18th – 10am -11am
Modesto, WUD OFFICE 1315 K St – Friday October 20th – 9am-3pm
- We would appreciate you restricting your drop-off to Friday only between 10am-2pm. If this does not work please send us a message and we’ll work on other arrangements.
*Please, at this time, limit gently used clothing donations. We will be notifying you when those are helpful, but currently they can overwhelm shelters. At a point in the near future we will share ways you can get clothing to the shelters.
Thank you for your generosity. Please continue to keep these folks in your thoughts and prayers.